You cannot go wrong with scones, especially with this tried and tested recipe that has no added sugar.
3 cups self raising flour
1 tbs honey (runny or crystallised)
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup of sultanas
3/4 cup of boiling water
1 1/4 cup milk
extra milk to glaze
Cream and honey to serve
PREP TIME - 20 minutes
COOKING TIME - 10 - 12 minutes
MAKES - 10 scones
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C
2. Put the sultanas into a mug and pour over enough boiling water to cover the sultanas. This will cause the sultanas to swell so that they are deliciously juicy rather than dry once the scones are cooked.
3. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Drain the sultanas and add them to the flour mixture. Combine and form a well in the dry mix.
5. Pour the milk and honey into the well and use a butter knife in a cutting action to stir until a soft but sticky dough forms. You can add more milk if necessary to make the dough soft rather than too crumbly.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead until dough just comes together. Use your fingertips to press the dough into a 2cm thickness.
7. Lightly dust an oven tray with flour. Use a 5 cm round pastry cutter dipped in flour to cut out scones. Arrange them on the tray and gently brush the top of each scone with a little extra milk.
8. Pop them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly golden on the tops. Leave out on a wire rack to cool.
9. Enjoy topped with honey / jam and cream.