Roast lamb & Honey Carrots
A traditional dish with a sweet twist. Served with honey carrots, roast potatoes, sweet potato & mint sauce.
2 kg leg of lamb or boned lamb roll
1 bulb of garlic
½ a bunch of fresh rosemary
1.5 kg potatoes
HONEY ROASTED CARROTS
1 bunch of carrots
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons honey
1 bunch of fresh mint
1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
PREP TIME - 20 minutes
COOKING TIME - 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours
MAKES - 8 serves
1. Remove the lamb from the fridge at least one hour before cooking so that it can come to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C
3. Peel and quarter the potatoes and boil until just starting to soften.
4. Place a small tray in the hot oven with 2 tablespoons of oil and let it heat up. Drain the potaotes and shake them around in the colander to scuff up the edges. This will make for yummy crunchy edges.
5. Rub the piece of lamb with some oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 1 hour if boned or 1 1/2 hours if still on the bone.
6. Place the scuffed potatoes in the hot oil just after placing the lamb in the oven. Top the potatoes with a sprinkling of fresh rosemary.
7. Peel the carrots and coat in the oil and honey. Place the carrots and sweet potato, whole, in the oven in the last 30 minutes of the lamb's cooking time.
8. Whilst the lamb and vegetables are cooking, chop the mint for the mint sauce. Mix the mint with the vinegar and oil to make the sauce.
9. After the cooking time, rest the lamb for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with the vegetables, mint sauce and gravy.