Pear and Almond Tart
A dreamy almond tart with homemade pastry, fresh pears and glazed with honey. Recipe inspiration from Matt Preston's Fast Fresh and Unbelievely Delicious.
250g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
120g unsalted butter, cold
75g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp chilled water
225g flaked almonds
225g unsalted butter, room temperature
225g caster sugar
4 ripe pears
2 tbsp honey, for glazing
PREP TIME - 1 hour +
COOKING TIME - 40 minutes
MAKES - one tart
1. In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and butter and mix until you get what resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar, pulse and add the egg yolks and pulse again until the dough forms a ball. Add a little water, a small bit at a time if the mix is too dry.
2. Place the pastry mix, wrapped in cling film, into the fridge for one hour to rest.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 C and butter your tart tin/dish.
4. Roll out the dough, ensuring you don't over work the rested pastry and place in the dish to form the tart casing. Place baking paper and baking beans (or just rice) on top of the casing and blind bake for 20minutes or until lightly browned.
5. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 160 C and prepare the filling.
6. In the food processor, blitz the almonds until they are course. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale then beat in the almonds and eggs.
7. Peel, core and halve the pears and place the peaces into the cooked pastry casing, cut side to the bottom. Pour the filling roughly around the pears.
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Once out of the oven, glaze with a layer of honey for a sticky and delicious finish.