Chinese Dumplings + Awesome Dipping Sauce
Deliciously fun packs of pure goodness. Have fun making and eating - but be prepared for a mess!
1 packet of dumpling skins, thawed (can be purchased from your local Chinese Grocer)
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 spring onion shoots
500g pork mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small chilli, finely chopped
1 cm cube ginger grated
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of room temperature water
2 T rice wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce
1 t honey
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
PREP TIME - 45 minutes
COOKING TIME - 15 minutes
MAKES - enough dumplings for four
1. Place the pork mince, carrot, spring onion, garlic, chilli, and ginger in a bowl. Using your hands, mix the ingredients together so the vegetables are nicely distributed amongst the meat.
2. Cup one dumpling wrapper at a time in your hand. Place just less than one tablespoon of mixture in the middle of your dumpling wrapper.
3. Dip your finger into your cup of water and slightly wet the outer edge of your dumpling. The water acts as a glue to hold the edges of the dumpling together when it is being cooked.
4. Pinch the two sides of the dumpling skins together, above the mixture. Pulling from each side to the centre; create five pleats across the top of the dumpling. If you'd like to see it done check out this YouTube video - it is not as complicated as it sounds I promise!
5. Repeat steps 2 -4 until all the mixture (or skins) is used up.
6. Place a large pot of salted water onto boil when you have just about finished making your dumplings.
7. Once at the boil, place all the dumplings into the water and boil for 5 - 10 minutes. The dumplings will be soft on the outside but still holding their shape. A good way to test doneness is by cutting one open and ensuring the pork is cooked inside.
8. As you are serving up, combine the awesome sauce ingredients together and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds, until warmed through.
9. Serve the dumplings with the dipping sauce, sweet chilli sauce and some steamed asian greens. Enjoy!