Honey Mustard Glazed Ham
Christmas is sorted with this show stopper. Good quality ham, good quality honey - how can you go wrong.
joint of good quality ham
*6 Tbsp honey
*6 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
*handful of whole cloves
*these quantities will vary based on the size of your ham - simply need enough to coat and then apply second glazes throughout cooking.
PREP TIME - 20 minutes
COOKING TIME - 2 hours
MAKES - one ham
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C
2. First prepare your ham by cutting away the rind, being careful to maintain the soft white fat layer beneath the rind - this layer is essential to achieving a delicious crunchy glazed top.
3. Using a sharp knife swiftly criss cross cut the fat layer.
4. Place the ham in an oven tray, ideally with a wire rack in the bottom to lift it off the base of the tray. Place the ham cut-side down in the pan. Add a cup of water to the tray, cover with al foil and put in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the ham is warmed through.
5. Meanwhile, combine the honey and mustard in a small bowl, ready to glaze the warmed ham. Remove the ham from the oven.
6. Increase the oven to 190°C
7. Where each of your criss cross cuts meet, push a whole clove into the intersection. Brush the whole ham liberally with the glaze and put back in the oven uncovered. Bake for 10 minutes at a time, re-glazing each time, until crispy and golden.